Life in Lakewood, Ohio
Living and Learning in Lakewood
Lakewood is a great place to learn about art and culture – both inside and outside the classroom. By living in Lakewood, you can supplement your education with experiences at local restaurants, parks, theaters, arts festivals, and more.
VMCAD is conveniently located at the east end of Lakewood, Ohio near the colorful Clifton Arts district. With magnificent views of Lake Erie nearby, tree-lined Lakewood is located between upscale Rocky River and exciting downtown Cleveland. The city’s 5.6 square miles (14.5 square kilometers) are comprised of vintage homes and apartments within a charming National Historic district.
With its low cost of living and safe environment, Lakewood can be your home away from home. We have assistance in providing transportation to and from the airport and acquiring housing for you.
Home to approximately 51,000 people,1 Lakewood is a vibrant community and center for the arts that offers diverse cultural experiences. See below for more information about the activities and other attractions Lakewood offers.
Lakewood offers music scenes as well as dance and performing arts venues that students at VMCAD can enjoy. Below are some of the highlights.
- Beck Center for the Arts is a non-profit organization that offers theater, dance and other types of arts education as well as exhibitions and events.
- Lakewood Civic Auditorium is a large theater that holds concerts, comedy performances, competitions, and music festivals.
- Lakewood Public Library has two branches, offering students an environment for studying, researching, and attending programs and events.
- The Lakewood Arts Festival gathers both local and national artists to exhibit and sell their work during the first weekend of August.
Food & Dining
Lakewood is the birthplace of some of the best-loved food chains in the Cleveland area. These businesses include:
- Malley’s Chocolates, a chocolatier and ice cream concoctioner that established its first location in Lakewood.
- Aladdin’s Eatery, a franchise of Lebanese restaurants founded in Lakewood.
- Melt Bar and Grilled, an award-winning gourmet grilled cheese sandwich restaurant that opened its first location in Lakewood. It has been featured on TV shows including Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, The Best Thing I Ever Ate, and Man v. Food.
You can also find coffee houses, bistros and a variety of other places to dine in Lakewood.
Sports & Athletics
Here are some of the athletic activities you can try in Lakewood.
- Engage in water sports including jet skiing, waterskiing, fishing, swimming, canoeing, and kayaking in nearby parks such as Edgewater
- Bike through the 1,000 acre Emerald Necklace, which has miles of continuous parkland that border Lakewood
- Visit seasonal ski resorts for downhill skiing, snowboarding and snow tubing
- Play hockey or skate at the Serpentini Arena
- Join local gyms and yoga studios
Contact VMCAD with any questions you have about the Lakewood area.
1According to an estimate by the U.S. Census Bureau